8695133ET.jpg

Kelly Groulx of Londonderry wades through the water on Brookview Drive on March 15 to get to her house. She was retrieving some clothes for her family because they were staying elsewhere during the flooding.

LONDONDERRY — A weary group of Brookview Drive residents will meet with the town manager and a state representative tonight to consider their options after flooding recently hit their neighborhood.

Bob Fosmire, who lives at 13 Brookview Drive, said he and his neighbors are tired of dealing with the floodwaters that threatened their homes and want some answers on what they can do. They will meet with Town Manager Dave Caron and state Rep. Al Baldasaro, R-Londonderry, at his home tonight, Fosmire said.

After a severe windstorm knocked out power to much of Southern New Hampshire and the Merrimack Valley in late February, residents of this neighborhood were forced to cope with more than just a lack of electricity.

Flooding filled basements with water, especially on Brookview Drive. At least six homes were affected, including four under several feet of water at the end of the cul-de-sac. Fosmire placed sandbags around his door, but it didn't do much good.

Only a couple of weeks later, Brookview Drive residents were dealing with the same problem again as heavy rains drenched the region - and flooded their homes.

"I haven't even cleaned up my office from the last storm," Fosmire said.

Although the floodwaters have since receded, the potential for problems remains, Caron said.

"The area is flooded out regularly every year or two," the town manager said Friday.

At today's 6:30 p.m. meeting, Caron intends to discuss how the town can help Fosmire and his neighbors seek relief through government agencies such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

In such situations, homeowners are often eligible to have their properties bought out by FEMA, which destroys the flood-ravaged homes, Caron said. One neighbor has even considered having the home's elevation raised.

After a major flood three or four years ago, the homes on Brookview Drive were denied federal relief, Caron said.

"These homes were not eligible to be purchased or demolished," he said. For this type of program, the federal government would fund 90 percent of the cost and local residents would have to vote to foot the remaining 10 percent, he said.

But Caron said the town will do what it can to help Brookview Drive homeowners obtain government assistance.

ÔÇæÔÇæÔÇæ

Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.

Recommended for you