LONDONDERRY — Attorney General Michael Delaney yesterday released details of the murder of Suzanne Vernet, 46, and subsequent suicide of Binh Vernet, 48, on Oct. 21.

Delaney's report confirms Binh Vernet killed his wife by bludgeoning her with dumbbells and stabbing her with a knife, then hanged himself in a tree in Rehoboth, Mass.

Police received a 911 call just after 9 p.m. Oct. 21 from a teenage girl, reporting her mother had been injured and her father had left the house with a knife, saying he was going to kill himself.

Upon arrival at the Vernet home at 4 Fiddlers Ridge Road, police found the four Vernet children, ranging in age from 8 to 16, and Suzanne Vernet. The children were not injured, but Suzanne Vernet was bleeding heavily from the face and head. She died the next day at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. Two bloody dumbbells and a knife were found near her in an upstairs bedroom area, Delaney wrote, and an autopsy showed she died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head.

Police interviewed all four children and learned Suzanne and Binh Vernet had been arguing in their bedroom, with the door closed. Binh Vernet accused his wife of cheating on him. One of the Vernets' daughters called her older sisters and asked them to come home, according to the report.

When the older daughters arrived home, Delaney wrote, they broke into the bedroom and found their father holding a knife, their mother lying injured on the floor. Binh Vernet told his children he was going to kill himself and took off in the family minivan. One of the children called 911 to get help for their mother.

The van was found the next day on a dirt road in Rehoboth. Vernet's body was found nearby, a knife on the ground next to him.

Delaney said marital problems that surfaced earlier in the year likely led to the murder/suicide. Suzanne Vernet reported to Londonderry police on Oct. 15 that her husband had stolen her cell phone and that he had assaulted her about four months earlier. She told police they had been separated for about two months, but remained in the same house for financial reasons.

When police tried to speak to Binh Vernet about the cell phone, he hired a lawyer and the interview never took place, according to Delaney's report.

Hours before Binh Vernet attacked his wife, he had lunch with his mother in Woburn. His mother told a reporter everything appeared fine with her son, a mechanical engineer.


Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to

Recommended for you