Jordan Gann

A man dubbed the “Romeo Robber,” and who has roots in Methuen, pleaded guilty yesterday in a Florida court to stealing $750 from a woman he conned into believing he was a wealthy doctor.

Jordan Gann, 27, formerly of 41 Merrimack St., who police said they believe has deceived dozens of women in several states, appeared in a Tampa courtroom wearing orange jail garb to admit to a charge of grand theft. He is scheduled to be sentenced March 7 and faces up to five years in prison.

Authorities said Gann spun tales of fabulous wealth and at various times said he was a doctor, an attorney, and a real estate investor.

According to one published report in Tampa, where he was dubbed the “Romeo Robber,” Gann met a 39-year-old biochemist named Jennifer in a Clearwater Beach bar and identified himself as Dr. Johnathan Marion, a pediatric oncologist. The woman said he carried on a conversation about molecular chemistry and biochemistry.

In Methuen, Gann is listed in city records as a “student” who lives with his parents, Suzanne and Blaine. It was unclear yesterday if he graduated Methuen High School. Attempts to reach his parents were unsuccessful yesterday.

Methuen police said they did arrest Gann in 1999 and 2000 after he broke into his parents’ home on two occasions.

“But after 2000, it seems like he disappeared from this area,” acting Methuen police Chief Katherine Lavigne said yesterday.

In the case to which he pleaded guilty yesterday, prosecutors said he claimed to be a medical doctor with a $2.3 million condominium and offered help to a woman he met in September. He told her he would deposit $100,000 in a joint account for her if she first gave him $750.

The woman met Gann in a shopping plaza with the cash, but when she changed her mind at the last moment, he grabbed the wad of bills and ran off.

He was arrested on Oct. 14 at a Tampa pub where he claimed to be a lawyer for Marriott International and said he wanted to throw a $15,000 corporate party at the pub. A co-owner of the pub found previous crime stories about Gann on the Internet and called police.

“I take full responsibility,” Gann told a Tampa police detective after his arrest. “I was fully conscious of what I was doing. Nobody put a gun to my head and made me do it.”

Gann, who has a twin brother, Simon, said he was supporting an addiction to the prescription painkiller oxycodone.

Tampa police Detective Curtis Smith said Gann may be responsible for cons in Arizona, Philadelphia and New Hampshire.

Over the years, he also developed a knack for talking his way out of bar tabs, cab rides and dinner bills. He once convinced two real estate agents to buy him a laptop computer, after promising to spend his millions on property, according to published reports. He also told police how he created detailed paperwork, business cards and envelopes using Web sites and copy machines.

Gann was in jail in Florida from 2004 to 2006. He returned to Methuen in 2006 and, per the terms of his probation, lived at his parents’ house for approximately three months, he told Tampa police.

Over the years, Gann used his own name and also used the aliases of Dr. Johnathan Marion, Simon Wilkes, Simon T. Gann, Andrew Morales and Charles Morales, according to Tampa police.

One victim, Meredith Gavin of Albany, N.Y., said Gann told her he was a pediatric oncologist and researcher when she met him at a Tampa bar in June 2003.

She said Gann told her he was in town for a meeting with fellow physicians. He also showed her documents from the $2 billion sale of his fictitious company, Gann Medix, which he claimed developed a wonder drug that slowed the spread of cancer.

“He’s really good. This is what he does,” said Gavin, who was in the Tampa area for a sales conference when she met Gann. “He was definitely a little quirky ... but I thought it was interesting how normal he was.”

She slept with Gann the night she met him and now has a 4-year-old son she said she believes was fathered by Gann or his twin brother, Simon, who she believes he works with. Gann, however, when he was arrested in Tampa in October, told police he had not seen Simon in five years.

Staff reporter Jill Harmacinski can be reached at 978-946-2209 or by e-mail at JHarmacinski@eagletribune.com.

Recommended for you