LAWRENCE — A woman shot in the head during a rampage inside a Lawrence nightclub early Monday has died, police Chief John Romero said last night.

Romero said he was notified by officials at Massachusetts General Hospital that the woman died after being taken off life-support equipment sometime yesterday.

Her death is the second fatality in the shooting inside La Guira Restaurant, 205 Broadway. The first victim, a man, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight Monday.

Also yesterday, prosecutors said they have recovered the gun used in the shooting spree and that one of the suspects is clearly seen on surveillance video inside the club.

Johan Saintclair, 30, of 399 Andover St., and Fernando Guerrero-Lara, 27, of 77 S. Union St., were both arraigned on murder charges in Lawrence District Court yesterday.

A waitress was shot in the upper thigh area of both legs and was taken to Lawrence General Hospital. Another man suffered a gunshot wound to the face. Both are expected to survive.

A fifth victim suffered cuts to her leg and told police she fell trying to escape the gunfire and was cut by broken glass on the floor.

None of the victims were identified in court yesterday. Family members of the woman who died yesterday identified her Monday as Amarilis Roldan, 24, of Dorchester.

"At this point it is too early to tell who may have been the target or if any of the victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time," police Chief John Romero said yesterday.

"Many people were fleeing from the scene which was very chaotic," Officer Pedro Lopez said in his report filed in court yesterday.

He said police responding at 12:05 a.m. saw chairs and tables thrown all over the place and the floor and bar littered with broken glass.

Officers Mark Panagiotakos and Joseph Padellaro found two men and a woman on the floor, and two women leaning over one of the men telling the officers to help the man because they could not find a pulse.

He was declared dead at the scene by paramedics with an apparent gunshot wound to the chest, according to police reports.

In all, police said they believe six shots were fired from a .40-caliber, semiautomatic pistol. Six spent shell casings were found during the investigation.

During the arraignments yesterday, Judge Thomas Brennan allowed Saintclair and Guerrero-Lara to remain hidden from public view at the request of their lawyers.

Saintclair, who police said they believe is the shooter, and Guerrero-Lara were caught Monday morning as they fled from a car which ran off the road on the Route 38 off-ramp from Interstate 495 in Lowell.

Police heading to the nightclub encountered the Nissan Altima with New Hampshire plates going in the opposite direction and pursued it.

Saintclair also was charged with reckless operation of a vehicle, leaving the scene of a property damage accident and failure to stop for a police officer, those charges stemming from a police chase that began when officers spotted their car speeding away from the scene and gave chase.

Police recovered a gun they say was thrown from the car on Winthrop Avenue as the car with four people in it tried to elude police.

A woman called police to say she had just returned to her Winthrop Avenue home and there was a gun in her driveway.

Assistant District Attorney Michelle Defeo said yesterday that video from inside the club showed a man clearly recognizable as Saintclair walking out of the club with Guerrero-Lara, and handing him an object which appeared to be a gun. As they walked, Saintclair turned and looked directly at the surveillance camera, according to police reports.

At the request of Russell Sobelman, lawyer for Saintclair, and Kevin Mitchell, lawyer for Guerrero-Lara, Brennan impounded photographs and police mug shots of their clients. Lawrence police and state police detectives assigned to the district attorney's office continue to investigate.

Saintclair and Guerrero-Lara were ordered to return to court on Oct. 6.

Recommended for you