HAMILTON — Police found more than 400 photos and videos of women being strangled on the computer of a man who is now on trial for allegedly trying to strangle a Hamilton woman to death last June.

Jurors in the trial of John Carey were shown some of the disturbing images before they were sent home for the weekend.

Carey, 48, of Braintree, has been charged with attempted murder, armed home invasion, and multiple counts of assault and battery, all stemming from an incident inside the Appaloosa Way home of Rosemary Diskin, 56, on June 6.

Prosecutors say Carey showed up at her home that night armed with a necktie and a plan to strangle her, but was thwarted when her young son came downstairs, heard his mother's cries for help and stabbed Carey in the back.

Carey, meanwhile, claims he and Diskin were having an affair and that the strangulation was part of their sex play.

If convicted on all counts, he could face more than 50 years in prison.

The trial got underway earlier this week in Newburyport Superior Court with testimony from both Diskin and her son, followed by a series of officers who took part in the investigation.

Diskin has told police and testified that Carey, an acquaintance of her husband's, showed up at the house that night claiming that he had planned to meet her husband for drinks.

But her husband wasn't home — something police say Carey knew because he had just called Tim Diskin himself from his cell phone.

The woman said Carey suddenly pulled out a cord and began strangling her. Police found a torn necktie outside her home and found both her and Carey's DNA on it. They said they believe that was the weapon.

They also photographed Diskin's injuries, including a large, red welt on the side of her neck and a red line that went all the way around and marks on her face and hands.

Defense lawyer Kirk Bransfield has tried to point to shortcomings in the investigation, highlighting the fact that police never conducted any tests on a yellow fluid found on a sandal in the kitchen. Detective Ken Nagy said yesterday that he believed the substance was urine because Diskin told police that she had lost control of her bodily functions during the attack.

Police were also forced to admit that they forgot to take the knife, which broke in two, that the boy used to stab Carey. An officer took a picture of the knife but did not pick it up.

Three days later, during a follow-up visit to the home, Diskin handed Nagy an envelope with the knife inside. A state police lab technician testified that there was no blood found on the knife, although a very small knife mark was found on Carey's back after his arrest.

And there was conflicting testimony about whether police sought to have a so-called "rape kit" done at the hospital. One officer testified that he requested one but that it was never done.

Nagy testified that he did not order one.

Asked by prosecutor Kim Faitella why not, Nagy said it was because police did not believe there had been a rape.

Police also did not collect or test the clothing the woman was wearing at the time of the attack. They initially took her clothing from the hospital, only to learn later that she had changed clothes before the police arrived.

About two months after the incident, police got a warrant to seize and search Carey's computer.

State police Sgt. Thomas Neff, a computer forensic expert, testified that he found hundreds of images featuring strangulation, as well as evidence of Internet searches for information on asphyxia and strangulation. One image included a video of a naked woman who appears to be strangled to death.

Before jurors viewed the images, Judge Richard Welch cautioned them, saying they were only to consider the photos to determine Carey's state of mind at the time.

Carey is expected to take the stand when the defense begins presenting its case on Monday.

Trending Video

Recommended for you