WINDHAM — School and town officials are telling residents that an e-mail sent to an undetermined number of local residents includes false information.

Fire Chief Tom McPherson told selectmen last night that the e-mail falsely claims the second access road to the new Windham High School does not meet his requirements.

McPherson said the completed secondary access meets state and local requirements.

The e-mail also falsely states that the fire chief is considering revoking the school's certificate of occupancy, meaning students would have to temporarily transfer to Salem High School or attend school until July.

School Board Vice Chairman Mike Hatem said in an interview yesterday that these claims are untrue.

Furthermore, he said the distortions, disguised as a school alert, unnecessarily alarm people.

Hatem said he thinks the "alert" is an attempt to influence voting March 9.

"Although this is the silly season for politics, this crosses the line," Hatem said. "It scares parents."

The second access road was a hot-button issue last year.

Some residents said local school and town officials acted against the wishes of voters when they provided funding for the second access.

Officials said they needed to fund construction for the high school to open on time.

ÔÇæÔÇæÔÇæ

Join the discussion. To comment on stories and see what others are saying, log on to eagletribune.com.

Recommended for you