BRENTWOOD — The Londonderry man accused of murdering his wife in April, pleaded guilty last year to criminal threatening, according to court documents.

William Argie, 46, of Londonderry, was arrested Friday, and charged with two alternative counts of second-degree murder — for knowingly causing the death of his wife by strangling and/or smothering her, and for recklessly causing her death, according to the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office.

The difference between the charges is knowingly or recklessly causing the death of his wife. Second degree murder in New Hampshire is punishable by up to a life sentence.

Argie pleaded not guilty on Monday, and is currently being held at the Rockingham County Jail without bail.

Argie was still serving his suspended sentence on the criminal threatening charge when he was arrested for his wife's murder, according to court documents.  

On Dec. 18, 2017, New Hampshire State Police received a phone call from a tractor-trailer driver saying a man in a pickup pointed a gun at him while driving on Interstate 93.

Police later identified that man as Argie. According to the state police, Argie said the tractor-trailer driver swerved in front of him multiple times.

According to the affidavit, Argie “began to feel that the (tractor-trailer) unit operator was purposefully swerving into his lane. Argie then sped up to pass the (tractor-trailer) unit. Argie stated that as he passed the (tractor-trailer) unit he retrieved his handgun from under his seat, took the handgun with his left hand and stuck it out the window,”

After pleading guilty in February 2018, Argie was given a suspended two-year sentence, according to court documents. He had to complete 25 hours of community service, get a mental health evaluation, and could not possess firearms, according to court documents.

According to court documents provided by Argie’s lawyer Donald Blaszka, he complied with all of those requirements — completing 27 hours of community service at Sonshine Soup Kitchen in Derry, participating in bi-weekly counseling, and selling his two firearms.

Details about Argie's murder case were not immediately available. The affidavit with the events leading to Argie's arrest has been sealed because of an investigation.

According to documents filed with the court, Argie is currently a self-employed physician assistant. He has lived at his Londonderry home for 13 years, and lived in New Hampshire his whole life. He also has two children under the age of 18.

The court documents also say that Argie has a mental health diagnosis and no substance abuse history.