The Super 6
Matt Curran was a standout player (MHS ‘94), 12-year assistant coach and two-year head coach at Methuen High. Here are his six favorite memories:
1. I was lucky having my father Ed “Hoppy” Curran as my youth coach.
2. As a player at Methuen, beating Central twice and beating Andover as a senior in the state tourney in OT when we had trailed by 20. My aunt, Judy Foley, ran onto the court and jumped onto (6-7, 265-pound) John Feugill.
3. Playing for Jim Weymouth. I got into education and coaching because of him.
4. Coaching the kids of coaches like Mimi Hyde (Russell), Larry Reusch (Nick), Jim Weymouth (Andrew, Tyler) and Bert Hammel (Cooper). They have combined for thousands of wins yet treated me with respect and support.
5. Winning a state tourney game, the MVC Division 2 title and being named Coach of the Year.
6. Going to the 2008 Final 4 with Rich Barden and Joey Gallo and running into thousands of coaches and fans.
Odds and Ends
Worcester State freshman pitcher Andrew Wells from Whittier Tech and Methuen was a late cut by the WSU hoop team. The sharpshooter plans to give it another shot next season. ... Salem freshman Matt McLaughlin is a promising ballplayer from a basketball obsessed family. His father is Salem coach/SHS Hall of Famer Rob McLaughlin and Rob’s brother “Flyin’ Brian” McLaughlin led the area in scoring in 1989. Matt’s grandfather, Bob McLaughlin, might be the Devils’ most loyal fan. ... Andover native Barry Connors Jr. has coached the sons of numerous pro athletes in his 10 years at Cushing. They include the sons of Basketball Hall of Famer Chris Mullin, NBA star Paul Pressey, NFL star Chris Doleman and NBA super agent Bill Duffy. ... A couple of more women’s hoop 1,000-point facts. Timberlane’s Liz Tucker (Albany ‘01) had 1,188 points but the first two years the school was Division 2. Two stars who’ve moved into the area, North Andover’s Jessalyn Deveny (BC ‘05, 1,496) and Phillips coach Lani Silversides (UVM ‘05, 1,226) are in the 1,000-point club. Also, Phillips grads Sheila Danker (UNH ‘97, 1539), Becky Dowling (Navy ‘98, 1,470) and Laurie Coffey (Navy ‘99, 1,218).