Syracuse men's basketball coach Jim Boeheim said yesterday he's "really sorry" he questioned the motives of the men who accused his longtime assistant of molesting them as minors.
"I believe I misspoke very badly in my response to the allegations that have been made," an emotional Boeheim said in a postgame press conference. "I shouldn't have questioned what the accusers expressed or their motives. I am really sorry that I did that, and I regret any harm that I caused."
Longtime Syracuse associate head coach Bernie Fine has been accused by three men, including two former Syracuse ballboys, of child sex abuse. Fine, who was fired Sunday, has denied the allegations.
Boeheim insisted his apology and his regrets came from the heart.
"No one said this is what you should say," he said. "This is what I feel."
When the accusations first were made public, Boeheim adamantly defended Fine and verbally disparaged the accusers, accusing them of lying for money.
"The Penn State thing came out, and the kid behind this is trying to get money," Boeheim said of accuser Bobby Davis in an interview with the Syracuse Post-Standard. "If he gets this, he's going to sue the university and Bernie. What do you think is going to happen at Penn State? You know how much money is going to be involved in civil suits? I'd say about $50 million. That's what this is about. Money."
Advocates for sex abuse victims had called for Boeheim to resign or be fired for disparaging the accusers.
College football: Sandusky accuser says police knew of recent dinner
A Penn State accuser who dined with Jerry Sandusky this summer did so only after getting permission from police, the man's lawyer said as he blasted suggestions that alleged victims remained friendly with the former Penn State coach.
"Police gave their seal of approval for him to attend. They even wanted him to wear an electronic listening device," attorney Howard Janet said. He also called into question Sandusky's motives for inviting the man to dinner while the ex-coach knew he was under investigation.
Sandusky has been charged with molesting eight boys over 15 years. He is accused of mining the ranks of his Second Mile charity to find underprivileged boys to abuse.
Sandusky says he is innocent and his lawyer, Joseph Amendola, has questioned several accusers' claims and the depiction of his client made in a grand jury report that identified the alleged victims by number. Earlier this week, Amendola told The Patriot-News of Harrisburg that several accusers visited the Sandusky home and stayed on good terms with the ex-coach for years.
Pro football: Manning hopes to start throwing soon
Peyton Manning could soon be throwing footballs to his teammates, the best news Colts fans have heard since this miserable season began.
While the Colts and the four-time league MVP are still trying to find out what the next part of his rehabilitation program entails, lifting weights and throwing balls are apparently going to be part of it.
"Throwing will be part of the next progression," Manning said before heading back to the team's weight room. "I will be doing some throwing and I have been doing some throwing. But now we're going to ramp it up a little more."
Manning called the news encouraging and said he would like to practice or even play this season if he's cleared.
Vice chairman Bill Polian said he is pleased with Manning's progress
More pro football: McNabb goes unclaimed, becomes free agent
Donovan McNabb is a free agent for the first time in his 13-year career. After his last two disappointing stints as a starter, it's not clear what the future has in store for one of the most accomplished quarterbacks of his generation.
McNabb was unclaimed by the waiver deadline yesterday afternoon, one day after he was cut by the Minnesota Vikings so he could pursue an opportunity for playing time elsewhere.
"This was probably the most desirable outcome," McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, told The Associated Press. "This way it really gives him a chance to weigh his options and evaluate the situations as they come and make the best decision for him.
Pro basketball: Iverson nixes Vegas tournament after NBA lockout ends
Even organizers have canceled a professional basketball tournament in Las Vegas hosted by former NBA star Allen Iverson after the league resolved its lockout.
Organizers said they would refund tickets to the two-day event that would have featured Kevin Durant, Al Harrington and others.
The tournament was scheduled for Jan. 6-7 at the Thomas and Mack Center.
Iverson has been out of the NBA since 2010 and spent part of last year playing in Turkey. He was the NBA MVP in 2001, when he led the Philadelphia 76ers to the NBA finals.